23 November 2011

I am still alive and travelling

I have been travelling but have not managed to write for over a year. Maybe in my plan ot have more spare time in the coming months I can update this with all my travels.

I have been out of the country for 3 weeks now and I finally found a computer that accepts my memory card so I can put some pictures on here.
I wanted to travel by donkey but couldn´t find one. I ended up travelling by bus but I did find this horse later on that I thought about taking for a night out on the town. Not too many strong looking horses around here.

Let us start with border crossings. I flew into Liberia, Costa Rica and took a bus to the Nicaraguan border.
Hopped on another bus
and I spent the night in Managua.
I found a bus to the Honduran border in the early morning hours
The bus really was this full most of the trip. It would stop and people would get on and off but I was lucky to have gotten on at the beginning so I had a seat.
and this time took a bike taxi with my 24 hour friend, Ivan from Mexico.

I found the smallest seat possible in a what was something like a minivan but a little longer. If you have ever been in a minivan you know they fit 3 across. Well this van put 4 people in each row. I sort of felt bad for being larger than the tiny latinos sitting around me. I made it to Choluteca, Honduras about 11 am and first things first,
I found a hotel so I could quit hauling my bags around and take a nap. I forgot that cockroaches come free with a paid nights stay. I only saw them 2 days, but I think I killed 3 each day.
Here my friend Gredis is in a coconut tree. He ended up cutting down 18 cocos and I learned how to chop them up with a machete. I then drank the juice and kept chopping until I cracked it open and ate the meat inside. Not my favorite food but I had to eat it since I wanted to chop it up.
I love Honduras. Especially this area where it is hot and the people are so kind. I spent a few days hanging out, walking the streets, helping people with random chores, visiting friends,
riding in the back of trucks(AKA Hitch Hiking), and playing a lot of soccer with whoever had a ball.

I went to Tegucigalpa for 3 days with my friend.
We went to a soccer game. (sorry, the battery on my camera died so I didn´t have many good pictures to choose from)

We went to the top of the mountian and took pictures of the city as well as the Picacho
and there is a zoo up there so we stopped by and found
a loose monkey. I think we were the only ones to see it running around. It was quite funny as the ones still in the cages yelled at him. I don´t speak monkey but I think they were cheering him onto freedom and hoping he´d bring something back for the rest of them.

After that I was on my way to the border with El Salvador.
This took a little more effort. There were no buses at the border so I had to take a 20 minute taxi ride to the next town where I found a bus to San Salvador. I ate 2 delicious pupusas for only 50 cents, spent the night playing the original Mario Brothers on Wii and woke up to catch the 5 am bus to Guatemala.
Good thing was this bus went all the way to Guatemala City so I didn´t have to find another bus after crossing the border. Bad news is, it dropped me off in a pretty bad part of town. In fact, my friend came to pick me up and said he didn´t know where to find me because the bus station I came to was so dangerous he didn´t go there. I found it to be exciting and to my knowledge I still have all the things I started with.

No comments: